Saturday, February 19, 2011

Artists Tips on Approaching Galleries

In my next few posts I would like to share a few tips on artists approaching Art Galleries. This is just from my experience and does not apply for all galleries. Every gallery is different and has their own set of policies and guidelines, but most are similar.

First off before all else. I highly recommend seeking out a professional, in art education and promotion, to teach you the business side to your art. It may come at a price, but from the proper professional it's worth every penny (it will open doors on a professional level). Also, aid you in avoiding those looks from gallery owners when you go in at the wrong time or when their season is in full swing and you ask for representation.

I am fortunate enough to own a gallery, with my partner, and work as an artist where I have been able to put this valuable information to use. I see the business side everyday, but before it all happened I took the time to educate myself though classes, private and credited. Through education, it taught me how to approach galleries and it prepared myself for the business side of art. You may be the greatest artist in the world, but lacking the business sense makes it a bit more difficult in getting your work out there. An individual I recommend truly has helped my career. She opened my eyes to ideas on how to create a strong bio, artist statement, preparation, and what galleries look for from artists (the business side to art). Her name is Jeanne McCartin, maskmakernh@aol.com, seek her out she is worth it and trust me you won't be disappointed.

More to come...

No comments: