Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Distinctly Encautic- Artist Interview


Studio interview and a peek into our exhibition "Distinctly Encaustic", opening Friday, June 1, 7 to 9 p.m.
The ancient art of beeswax painting a decidedly modern look.

The show features works by four of the most exciting and individual artists in the field: William Thomson, Kim Bernard, Allison Golder, and Catherine Nash. Read More>>>

Interview- Catherine Nash. images of work>>>

What draws you to encaustic?
photo -Robert Renfrow
I am enamored firstly with the reference to nature.  Wax is a natural substance and merges very well with my ideas and concerns on many levels:  it makes paper translucent, it adds depth and space to my paintings and it offers my work cohesion.  I love that it can simultaneously reference fragility and strength.

Do you feel that encaustic has changed, advanced, become more accessible? If so why?
I am most excited by observing that more and more artists are integrating paper with encaustic.  Since I have consistently created using both media, I am so excited to see these two ancient techniques merge.  I am almost complete with writing a book entitled Contemporary Paper and Encaustic for which I have interviewed 28 international artists who, in very unique ways, combine these media.  I think as more artists experiment with encaustic they discover the wide potential that wax offers and it's expressive capacity will continue to transform and grow.

Interview- Kim Bernard. images of work>>>
 
What makes your work Distinct?
I’m fascinated with movement, kinesthetics and 
the basic laws of motion so my work is, at its essence, an investigation of movement.  With a background in dance, martial arts and yoga, my kinetic sculpture and 2-D works draw on my personal history and deep connection to body movement.  The driving force of my work would be summarized by the equation, movement + materials = form

portrait by Tammy Byro
What should a collector or what would you suggest for a new collector to look for in collecting encaustic?
Trust your gut!  To quote Duke Ellington “If it sounds good, it IS good.”  Just don’t leave your new encaustic acquisition in the trunk of your black car in August, while you shop on Commercial Street, or in your Cape Cod cottage while you turn off the heat and head to Miami for the winter.


No comments: