Monday, March 23, 2009

Embracing Encaustic

With encaustic becoming a popular medium among artists I wanted to take the time and interview artist Kim Bernard.

First off what is encaustic? The word “encaustic” comes from the Greek, meaning “to burn in”. Encaustic painting is the art of painting with pigmented, molten wax. In painting, a medium is created from a mixture of waxes and resins, melted and pigmented.The technique is one of the oldest painting techniques known, dating back to the first century - Often used in Roman Egypt to decorate mummy coffins and tombs.

How long have you been working with encaustics? "I have been working with ecnaustic, in combination with other materials, for over 9yrs."

What is so special about encaustic? "Encaustic is yummy! It smells good, feels good, its forgiving and allows me to be spontaneous. If I don't like what I've done I can scrape it or melt it off and begin again."

What makes you unique from other encaustic artists? "I am unique from other artists, because my experiences, interests and obsessions are unique, as in true with all of us. I am constantly challenging myself, pushing my work, and asking questions (hopefully the right ones) and exploring new terrain. My work is always evolving. If I ever start doing the same thing year after year, shoot me!"

Where did you come up with the idea, to signature, your piece in Lead? "The lead was a no-brainer in framing my 2-D work since I had been sculpting with lead already. Work begets work. One thing leads to another. As Ani DeFranco put it "I don't know where I'm going , but it ain't where I've been.""

Why lead, why not copper or any other metals? "I use lead because it's very flexible. I can bend it, cut it, wrap it, fold, join it, nail it and sew it. I've welded, cast bronze and I do use copper at times. I like the way materials combine, contrast, harmonize and oppose one another."

~Kim Bernard


No comments: